It is integrated in the northeastern rampart of the Lower Town. It was built in 1736 in the honour of the tsar Carlo VI, “the great conquer of Belgrade”. Gate is a uniquely baroque achievement in areas south of the Sava and Danube, and by all accounts, is the work of Balthasar Neumann, famous German baroque architect, which at one time worked in Belgrade as a military engineer.
Above the entrance, from the eastern side, there is the monogram of Carlo VI. Western side of the gate bears the crest of Tribalia with the head of a wild boar pierced with an arrow. Beneath it, there are war tokens and above it a royal crown. This crest is the oldest preserved crest in Belgrade. This gate is often called the Gate of Prince Eugene of Savoy.